Your privacy is very important to us. At Avid Software we have a few fundamental principles that we follow:
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone except to comply with the law, develop our products, or protect our rights.
- We don’t store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of our site.
Like most website operators, we collect non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. The purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how our visitors use our websites. From time to time, we may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
We also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for logged in users and for users leaving comments on our blogs. We only discloses logged in user and commenter IP addresses under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below, except that blog commenter IP addresses are visible and disclosed to the administrators of the blog where the comment was left.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to our websites choose to interact in ways that require us to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that we gather depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who comment on our blog to provide a username and email address. Those who wish to receive updates via email, we collect their emails. In each case, we collect such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with our Services. Here are a few examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a www.wpbackitup.com account to provide a username and email address.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us–a premium theme, or a custom migration service, for example–you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Credentials: Depending on the Services you use, you may provide us with credentials for your website (like SSH, FTP, and SFTP username and password). For example, WPBackItUp users may provide us with these credentials in order to use our one-click restore feature or if there is a problem with their site, or to allow us to troubleshoot problems on their site more quickly.
- Communications with Us : You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with support, or post a question about your site in our public forums.
We do not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities.
We may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to its websites. For instance, we may monitor the most popular pages on the www.wpbackitup.com site or use spam screened by the Akismet service to help identify spam. We may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, we do not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
Avid Software discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Avid Software’s behalf or to provide services available at Avid Software’s websites, and (ii) have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using our websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. Avid Software will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, Avid Software discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when Avid Software believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Avid Software, third parties or the public at large. If you are a registered user of an our website and have supplied your email address, We may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with our Services. We primarily use our various product blogs to communicate this type of information, so we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum. If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Avid Software takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, support document searches at support.wpbackitup.com) along with information about your backups (e.g. number of successful backups, failed backups ). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
If Avid Software, WPBackItUp or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Avid Software goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Avid Software or WPBackItUp may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
Comments and other content submitted to Disqus anti-spam service are not saved on our servers unless they were marked as false positives, in which case we store them long enough to use them to improve the service to avoid future false positives.